Our energy never ends.
O2 has accepted one of the greatest challenges of our times. By increasing the amount of renewable energy available and, at the same time, generating benefits for both the environment and investors, we constantly drive progress towards a common goal – a sustainable future.
The need for newly-developed electricity production has never been greater in the world than it is at present, and demand is growing relentlessly. At the same time, a very large number of existing power plants are ageing and must be replaced. To add to the complexity of the picture, the world’s overall energy production is dominated by coal and oil which are responsible for a significant share of the world’s carbon dioxide emissions.
Our vision is sustainable
Renewable energy is not just about the environment. In many cases, the cost of producing renewable energy is a far better financial option than other forms of power. Our vision is a 100% sustainable and renewable energy sector, free from the risks and negative environmental impact of the fossil alternatives or nuclear power.
And a genuine reality
When it comes to realising this vision, few have O2’s expertise, experience and entrepreneurship. Our operation covers all stages of wind power development – from project development, financing and sales, to construction, operation and management. We also have one of the most comprehensive programmes for securing the best wind locations in the Nordics. We work closely with local stakeholders and decision-makers, landowners, municipalities and other developers within the sector, as well as investors and electricity producers.
O2 is behind almost half of all large-scale wind power construction in the Nordic region, and new projects are rapidly being added to our portfolio. We also keep track of other sustainable energy sources, such as bio energy, geo energy and photovoltaic. The overall objective is the same: to use O2’s development power to drive the transition to a sustainable future.
O2 in brief
• An independent, privately-owned company with an operation focused on renewable energy
• Has built almost half of the large-scale onshore wind power developments in the Nordic region
• More than SEK 10 billion has been invested in wind farms developed/built by O2
• Has built around 600 MW of onshore and offshore wind power
• Has planned almost 900 MW of wind power
• Constantly screens new wind power projects in Sweden, Norway and Finland
• Has a portfolio of more than 2,000 MW of wind power
• Develops new, sustainable solutions in the bio and geo energy areas
• Technical and commercial management contract for 23 wind farms with over 200 wind turbines (490 MW) and an annual production of 1.4 TWh.
Customers and partners
O2’s wind power developments have attracted investment capital from a wide variety of sectors.
The majority of the projects we have realised have been implemented in partnership with financial institutions such as Allianz, Proventus, FAM Wallenbergstiftelsen, Folksam and Stena, or major electricity users such as IKEA, Google, Polarbröd, property companies and municipalities.
O2’s customers also include industrial players, such as Skanska, Jämtkraft and Vattenfall.
O2 also runs Sweden’s largest wind power cooperative – O2 El Ekonomisk Förening – which has around 4,000 members.